When I was a kid, video games were a huge party of my life. I looked forward to homework-free weekends where I could spend all day playing Nintendo. I would literally play until my eyes bled from staring at the TV for so long. But it was awesome!
Nowadays I don’t get to game nearly as much I used to, but I thought I’d look up some trivia and see what the best-selling games of all time were. I was actually shocked to learn that I’d only played three games on this list. Guess I really am behind the times. Anyway, check out and see what video games have sold the most!
10. Wii Play (2006) Released on Wii. 28.02 million copies sold.
This game was packaged with the Wii in most territories except for North America. Any game that comes with the console is obviously gonna have an advantage. Oddly Nintendo was the only company to do this, so expect to see a lot of their games on this list.
9. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) Released on Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. 28.5 million copies sold.
I never really go into First Person Shooter games, I was always more of an RPG guy. But I guess in the minority there because this game made $310 million in its first day, easily trumping any theatrical release of a blockbuster movie. That’s just an insane amount of money.
8. New Super Mario Bros. (2006) Released for Nintendo DS. 30.75 million copies sold.
This was the most shocking entry for me. I hadn’t even heard of this game. But Mario and Luigi have always been the two most popular brothers in the video games.
7. Grand Theft Auto V (2013) Released for Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. 32.5 million copies sold.
This is the most recent game on the list. It made $800 million on the first day and reached $1 billion within three days of being out. That’s good because it cost around $265 million to make.
6. Wii Sports Resort (2009) Released for Wii. 32.58 million copies sold
This is the sequel to Wii Sports which will show up on this list in a bit. It continued Nintendo’s dominance with the Wii.
5. Maro Kart Wii (2008) 35.53 million
While I didn’t play this version, I have fond memories of the original Mario Kart for the Super Nintendo and then Mario Kart for the N64. If this game was anything like those ones, then I can see why this sold so well.
4. Super Mario Bros. (1985) 40.24 million
Ah, a game I’ve actually played. This was the Grand Poombah of games for the longest time. This is responsible for the success of console video games after the arcade crash in the early 1980s (another story for another blog). The opening level is probably one of the most famous video game sequences of all time, having been spoofed ad infinitum in the 29 years since its release. So many memories...
3. Minecraft (2009) Released for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linus, Moblie Phones, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. 54 million copies.
I’m sorry, I just don’t get this game. A lot of my friends swear this is the most addictive thing ever, but I just don’t see the point of it. It did however lead to one of the funniest South Park episodes ever. You know which one I’m talking about!
2. Wii Sports (2006) Readed for Wii. 82.54 million copies sold.
The success of this game surprised lots of people. Many had written the Wii off because its bizarre controller. But they proved to be wrong and the Wii became the second best selling console of time. This was the game everyone played on the Wii. It was so popular it was even used by physical therapists to help patients recovering from strokes.
1. Tetris (1984) Released on Game Boy, Game Boy Color, NES and mobile phone. 143 million copies sold.
Yep, freaking Tetris! This might just be the most popular puzzle game of all time. I lost hundreds of hours to this beast. This also the only game video game my Mom ever played. She was good at it, but I was better.
So there you have it. How many of these games have you played? Were you surprised or disappointed by any of the entries on here? Regardless, I hope you learned something.